The Manhattan Maternity and Dispensary opened in 1905, at 327 East 60th Street, as an institution dedicated to the care of women in confinement, and an alternative to city hospitals or at-home care. Both indoor and outdoor care was available, and both charity and pay patients were accepted. The hospital's Educational Department operated a training program for physicians and medical students. A Social Service Department served to teach mothers about childcare. In 1932, Manhattan Maternity and Dispensary merged into New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center and became the center's Pediatrics Department.