The Dual Purpose of Art Shows at the Weill Cornell Medical Library
- Enhancement of the library environment
- Promotion of the union between art and medicine
Guidelines for Exhibit Arrangements and Displaying Art in the Library
- Exhibits can be arranged for any period of time, from two months to six months (or more), as agreed upon by the Library and the artist(s).
- The library organizes and hosts all of the art exhibitions, and approves the final selection of all artwork displayed.
- It is generally expected that art will be in place for the full duration of any given show; works will not be hung after the starting date and will not be taken down before the ending date.
- Works must be dropped off and picked up between 10 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. on the designated day, unless special arrangements have been made with the library. Each artist must complete an Art Show Receipt and a WCMC Artwork and Agreement Release Form. The title and artist information on the receipt is what will appear in the printed program. Packing materials should be removed by the artist(s) upon delivery.
- Works will be installed at times that cause the least disruption in the use of the library by its regular clientele.
- Two-dimensional artwork will hang on walls with Walker Hanging System molding.
- Sculptures may be placed in locking display cases.
Art Show Visitors
- The library is not open to the public. Visitors not affiliated with the Weill Cornell will need to make special arrangements with the library to view the art.
- For each exhibit, it may be possible to arrange an art show reception as a public viewing, to which artists may bring guests and the press may be invited. Generally the sponsoring group will be asked to contribute at least $200 toward the cost of refreshments for the reception. The distribution of announcements about the show by the sponsoring group is encouraged - but all must include "Weill Cornell Medical Library" as the location, and be approved by the library.
Artist and Pricing Information
- The Weill Cornell Medical Library is not a commercial gallery or sales outlet. It is extremely important that nothing be done to jeopardize the nonprofit status of the Weill Cornell Medical College.
- Artists may display their business cards on the day of the reception. The library will forward any requests from outside parties to the artist using the contact information provided on the delivery receipt.
- Discussions of purchasing or pricing information will be held in a location outside of the institution. The procedure for pricing discussion and sales will be at the discretion of library administration.
For additional information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.