In September, New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center opens. The complex includes buildings for New York Hospital, Cornell University Medical College, New York Hospital School of Nursing, and the Payne Whitney Psychiatric Clinic. (Photo by William Frange.)
New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center
Cornell University Medical College: Olin Hall
Named for Franklin W. Olin, this student housing and administrative office building is constructed at 445 East 69th Street. The groundbreaking ceremony is held on March 4, 1953, and the building is dedicated on November 15, 1954.
New York Hospital: Phipps House and Staff House
The Phipps and Staff Houses are built to provide housing for medical center staff, at 445 East 68th Street. In 2015, the buildings are torn down to make way for a new hospital ambulatory care building.
New York Hospital: Connie Guion Building
The Connie Guion Building, the first building named in honor of a living woman physician, is erected on East 70th Street. The building, dedicated on May 8, 1963, houses an emergency pavilion, ambulatory care (outpatient) facilities, and the Vincent Astor Cardiopulmonary Center.
Cornell University Medical College: Samuel J. Wood Library and Research Building
The Samuel J. Wood Library and Research Building, located at 1300 York Avenue, is dedicated on October 17, 1962. (Photo by Werner Wolff, Black Star.)
Cornell University Medical College: Theodora Griffis Faculty Club
The Theodora Griffis Faculty Club, which offers dining and meeting facilities for faculty members, is built on East 68th Street. (Photo by Gil Amiaga.)
New York Hospital: Lawrence G. Payson House
The Lawrence G. Payson House, built at 435 East 70th Street to house doctors, nurses, and medical center staff, is dedicated on June 22, 1967. (Photo by Gil Amiaga.)
Cornell University Medical College: William Hale Harkness Medical Research Building
The William Hale Harkness Medical Research Building, located on York Avenue, is dedicated on September 9, 1968, but is not officially opened until 1969. (Photo by B. G. International.)
Cornell University Medical College: Jacob S. Lasdon House
The Jacob S. Lasdon House, located at 420 E. 70th Street, is dedicated on July 31, 1974. The building includes 300 apartments for students, faculty, and staff - and the college bookstore is on the first floor. Later, the building is torn down to make way for Belfer Research Building.
New York Hospital: C.V. Starr Pavilion
The groundbreaking ceremony for the C.V. Starr Pavilion for ambulatory care, on East 70th Street, is held on October 7, 1981. The building is dedicated on November 15, 1984. (Photo by John Mingrone.)
New York Hospital: Hermine Neustadtl Stich Radiation Therapy Center
The Hermine Neustadtl Stich Radiation Therapy Center, which is jointly operated with Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, opens on January 16, 1984.
Cornell University Medical College: William and Mildred Lasdon Biomedical Research Center
The William and Mildred Lasdon Biomedical Research Center is dedicated on March 14, 1989. This building on York Avenue has facilities for the medical college’s departmental laboratories, Department of Pharmacology, Institute for Human Neuroscience, and C.V. Starr Biomedical Information Center.
New York Hospital: Helmsley Medical Tower
The Helmsley Medical Tower opens at 1320 York Avenue. It features 520 apartments for nurses, staff, patients and their families, plus doctors’ offices and retail stores. (Architectural drawing from Schuman, Lichtenstein, Claman, & Efron.)
New York Hospital: Herman J. Stich Medical Building
The Herman J. Stich Medical Building, located at 1315-1319 York Avenue, is dedicated on September 23. The building houses cancer care, plastic surgery, and women’s health facilities. In 2004, the Jay Monahan Center for Gastrointestinal Health moves into the first floor.
New York-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell: Greenberg Pavilion
The Greenberg Pavilion, built over FDR Drive, receives its first patients on May 5, 1997.
Weill Cornell Medical College: Weill Greenberg Center
The Weill Greenberg Center, at 1305 York Avenue, is the first building built by Weill Cornell Medical College for clinical services. It is dedicated on January 26, 2007.
Weill Cornell Medical College: Belfer Research Building
The Belfer Research Building, erected at 413 East 69th Street, houses state of the art research facilities. The building is dedicated on November 9, 2011 and opens on January 31, 2014.