As part of its mission, the Weill Cornell Medical Library wishes to maintain a safe and comfortable environment conducive to study and the use of information resources. Library users are expected to show consideration for other users and staff members.
All users are required to abide by the library's borrowing and lending rules, which have been designed to provide the best service for all users. These rules exist in written form and will be supplied upon request by members of the circulation staff.
The following activities are not allowed in the library:
- Leaving personal belongings unattended and/or using personal belongings to reserve space or equipment
- Theft or misappropriation of library property or another user's property
- Vandalism, abuse, or misuse of library equipment or property
- Leaving a child alone in the library without adult supervision
- Allowing a child to use library equipment, including all computers
- Misusing restrooms (for example, extreme messiness or washing of laundry)
- Solicitations of any kind
- Improper dress (shoes and shirts are required at all times)
- Talking loudly, making noise, or engaging in other disruptive behavior; playing of audiovisual equipment that others can hear.
- Falsification of records (including lying or misrepresenting oneself while registering)
- Using another person's ID or library card to enter the library or to check out library materials
- Interfering with another person's use of the library; harassment or verbal abuse of other library users
- Interfering with the library staff's performance of their duties; harassment or verbal abuse of staff members
- Refusing to leave the premises at library closing time
- Refusing to discontinue use of equipment - such as computers, printers or photocopiers- after closing announcements.
- Threats of physical violence
- Telephone harassment of other users or staff
- Failing to report and surrender to staff any lost items or money found on library premises
- Using or possessing drugs or alcohol
- Smoking and/or chewing tobacco
- Possession of weapons
- Possession of animals, except those needed to assist persons with disabilities
Library privileges may be limited or revoked for violating any of the above rules.