*Please call 212-746-0530 to contact the Medical Records Department for current patient medical records.*
September 1932 to Present
The Medical Center Archives does not hold current patient medical records. If you are seeking information regarding patient records from the New York Hospital, Presbyterian Hospital, NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, or the Lying-In Hospital that date from September 1932 to the present, please contact the Medical Records Department through their website or at 212-746-0530.
1794 to August 1932
The Medical Center Archives holds select historical patient records that date from 1794 to August 1932 (see below). Access to historical patient records is restricted by statutes such as the HIPAA Privacy Rule, and by hospital policies. A HIPAA Form is required for all historical patient record inquiries to the Medical Center Archives. This completed form, along with any required documentation, should be sent to the Medical Center Archives via postal mail only. We cannot accept email inquiries.
List of Patient Records
The archives hold a sampling of historical medical records from these institutions:
- New York Hospital, 1794-1796, 1801-1932
- Bloomingdale Asylum/Bloomingdale Hospital, 1808-1932
- Lying-In Hospital of the City of New York, 1893-1932
- Manhattan Maternity and Dispensary, 1905-1932
- New York Asylum for Lying-In Women, 1854-1899
- New York Infant Asylum, 1871-1901, 1904-1909
- New York Nursery and Child's Hospital, 1909-1934
- Nursery and Child's Hospital, 1859-1905
Birth certificates from 1910 and death records from 1949 to the present are available from the New York City Department of Health. Birth certificates prior to 1910 and death certificates prior to 1949 are available from the Municipal Archives of New York City.