1794 to August 1932
The Medical Center Archives holds selected patient records that date from 1794 to August 1932 (see below). Access to patient records is restricted by statutes such as the HIPAA Privacy Rule, and by hospital policies. The archives’ HIPAA Form is required for all patient record inquiries. This completed form, along with any required documentation, should be sent to the Medical Center Archives via postal mail only. We cannot accept email inquiries.
List of Patient Records
The archives hold a sampling of medical records for these institutions:
- New York Hospital, 1794-1796, 1801-1932
- Bloomingdale Asylum/Bloomingdale Hospital, 1808-1932
- Lying-In Hospital of the City of New York, 1893-1932
- Manhattan Maternity and Dispensary, 1905-1932
- New York Asylum for Lying-In Women, 1854-1899
- New York Infant Asylum, 1871-1901, 1904-1909
- New York Nursery and Child's Hospital, 1909-1934
- Nursery and Child's Hospital, 1859-1905
September 1932 to Present
The Medical Center Archives do not hold patient records that date from September 1932 to the present. If you are seeking information regarding patient records from the New York Hospital, Presbyterian Hospital, NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, or Lying-In Hospital that date from September 1932 to the present, please contact NYP Medical Records.
Birth certificates from the years 1910 to 1932 are available from the Vital Records Department of the City of New York. Certificates prior to 1910 are available from the Municipal Archives of New York City.
Death certificates for the years prior to 1932 are available at the Municipal Archives of New York City.